Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Great Waffle Experiment of 2014

The other day at work, my co-workers were having a conversation about waffles.  (I love the fact that I get to work with people who love food and books as much as I do.)  All their talk of waffles, of course, left me with a craving for waffles.  I started thinking about how much I love waffles, but that I rarely make them because they are not terribly healthy.  Their biggest health flaw in my eyes is the amount of oil (or melted butter) in them.  But then I got to thinking about one of my favorite baking tips.  In many recipes, canned pumpkin can be used in place of oil. I had only ever used it successfully as a substitute in cake recipes before.  A month or so ago, I had tried to use it as a substitute in a cookie recipe, which was not such a success.  I wondered how well it would work in a waffle recipe.  Well, only one way to find out.  I just used my go-to basic waffle recipe from my trusty rusty Betty Crocker cookbook.  I replaced the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil called for in the recipe with 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin.  I also added about 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice to the batter. They turned out great!  I topped mine with some plain yogurt and pure maple syrup. Yum!  Next time, I will also try adding some toasted pecans either to the batter or as a topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment